Adam Smith

Default RPC vs Motor Generator

I currently have the following equipment running off 3 phase 220v:

Cincinnati 24" shaper (7 1/2 hp)
Excello 602 vertical mill (1 1/2 hp)
B&S #2 surface grinder (1 hp)
Cincinnati #2 horizontal mill (5 hp, I think)

I have serveral other pieces of equipment not currently under power that it
would be very convenient to run on 3 phase. (It is either that, or buy a
bunch of single phase motors, which seems silly).

What I'm using for an RPC is a 25 hp motor, fired up by a pony. No balancing
caps, no nothing. Been meaning to balance it and do a proper install for
ages, so far it hasn't got to the top of the project list.

So: I'm asking myself if I should balance the RPC (and if so, to which
load?). Or if I should just get one 10 hp single phase motor, drive the 25
hp through a lovejoy, and make true 3 phase. Which would probably make any
future 3 phase equipment happier, (ie CNC stuff, welders or plasma, anything
that is fussy about its power).

Comments?

Thanks,

Adam Smith