John R. Carroll

Jim,
This is what passes for leadership these days. Inearly laughed my ass off.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/natio...0153-3878r.htm

DeLay declares 'victory' in war on budget fat

By Amy Fagan and Stephen Dinan

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Published September 14, 2005

----

House Majority Leader Tom DeLay said yesterday that Republicans have done so
well in cutting spending that he declared an "ongoing victory," and said
there is simply no fat left to cut in the federal budget.

Mr. DeLay was defending Republicans' choice to borrow money and add to
this year's expected $331 billion deficit to pay for Hurricane Katrina
relief. Some Republicans have said Congress should make cuts in other areas,
but Mr. DeLay said that doesn't seem possible.

"My answer to those that want to offset the spending is sure, bring me
the offsets, I'll be glad to do it. But nobody has been able to come up with
any yet," the Texas Republican told reporters at his weekly briefing.

Asked if that meant the government was running at peak efficiency, Mr.
DeLay said, "Yes, after 11 years of Republican majority we've pared it down
pretty good."

Congress has passed two hurricane relief bills totaling $62.3 billion,
all of which will be added to the deficit.

Republican leaders have been under pressure from conservative members
and outside watchdog groups to find ways to pay for the Katrina relief. Some
Republicans wanted to offer an amendment, including cuts, to pay for
hurricane spending but were denied the chance under procedural rules.

"This is hardly a well-oiled machine," said Rep. Jeff Flake, Arizona
Republican. "There's a lot of fat to trim. ... I wonder if we've been
serving in the same Congress."

American Conservative Union Chairman David A. Keene said federal
spending already was "spiraling out of control" before Katrina, and
conservatives are "increasingly losing faith in the president and the
Republican leadership in Congress."

"Excluding military and homeland security, American taxpayers have
witnessed the largest spending increase under any preceding president and
Congress since the Great Depression," he said.

Mr. Keene said annual nonmilitary and non-homeland security spending
increased $303 billion between fiscal year 2001 and 2005; the acknowledged
federal debt increased more than $2 trillion since fiscal year 2000; and the
2003 Medicare prescription drug bill is estimated to increase the
government's unfunded obligations by $16 trillion.

Tom Schatz, president of Citizens Against Government Waste (CAGW), said
if Mr. DeLay wants to know where to cut, "there are plenty of places to
reduce."

His group soon will release a list of $2 trillion in suggested spending
cuts over the next five years, and he said Congress also could cut the
estimated $20 billion to $25 billion in pet projects that make their way
into must-pass spending bills each year.

CAGW and the Heritage Foundation also suggest rescinding the 6,000-plus
earmarked projects in the recently passed highway bill.

--
John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Martin H.

Eastburn
says...

Bush was in Mississippi at the time when a reporter asked who was going

replace Brown - he side stepped the question as he didn't know what was

going
on. Brown had tendered his second resignation. Upon an intel connection

Washington the facts were determined and a replacement - a good man a

leader
of men... was appointed.

There *was* a good man at the job. Too bad he got evicted so that
cronies could come in a collect a paycheck.

I don't know where the LEFT gets the idea that every level of every

government
job must be a do-all commander in charge.

Because that's the way it used to be. That's the way we won ww2.
It was rapidly realized that leaders should be put in charge, and there
was no room for incompetents. They were shuffled out and given the
heave-ho.

NObody said 'not my job' or 'I can't do it because of the paperwork.'

Too bad that's gone.

Jim

please reply to: