oldjag

Steve Koschmann wrote:
Check out the latest issue of the Home Shop machinist... a guy did just
what you are trying to do... t he bearings are not standard and he had to
make a sleeve. Worked well.

Steve

Got the issue of Home shop, but the info was on rebuilding the motor bearings not the spindles. Found so more info from SOPCO. Seems you need to rebuild with ABEC 7 bearings. Still have not pulled apart, but ABEC 7 bearings seem very expensive...still waiting to hear from the seller.

"oldjag" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just got a Dumore 1/2 hp "master" model grinder from ebay advertised as
"good running condition"...well I guess that means you want to run away
from it, since the spindle make a hell of a howl. Anyway the motor
seems okay, so maybe its worth fixing. It came with two spindles, both
of which have bad bearings. I opened the older one of the two
spindles, a model "T", and pressed out the bearings. It seems the
bearings are retained on the shaft at each end with a press fit steel
collar with a small tapered brass insert, one of the collars cracked
during removal. Dumore does not have parts for the older spindles.
Finally my questions: 1.) has anyone had one of these apart? 2.) Are
the collar/brass rings a standard part? 3.) Anyone have a spindle they
want to sell? 4.) The newer spindle, (8/85) has a different
construction - can the bearings in this be replaced more easily? 5.)
Why does the latter spindle say "do not oil" ?, are the latter ones
sealed bearings?