Davide Davide is offline
Junior Member

Taking your points in turn:

1. No, I do not think petrol will only ignite if you apply a naked flame to it, although you do need some form of energy applied to begin ignition (you choose - a laser beam, microwaves, electrical spark, ...). If you choose to be sarcastic, expect sarcasm in return. FYI, acetone has a lower ignition energy, and a lower vapour tension at 20C than isooctane. It also has a lower vapour density, facilitating mixing with air to form explosive mixtures.

2. Did I say anything about lying around? I said to leave the solvent in contract with the adhesive for a time, not to leave it unsupervised. Having just stripped three rooms (~70m2 / 770ft2) in my house in a very similar situation to that described by the OP, I can assure you that with some adhesives you either need huge quantities of solvents - which is a risk in its own right, unless you hire air filtering equipment, or you need to leave them to soak for a long(ish) time. If you have a different, viable and safer suggestion for leaving (dangerous) solvents in contact with the adhesive for a sufficient time for the solvent to work, please let's hear it. I'd be glad to use it on the next floor!

3. The HTML appeared in the post because I edited it after posting and there seems to be a bug in the DYIbanter editing engine that interprets HTML tags as text in edited posts; if you don't like people posting using web-based engines, go read somewhere else that is only accessible to people using "proper" newsreaders, or ask DIYbanter to close their own site.

I don't think I can indent using the DIYbanter site - FYI, your quotes do not appear as indented either, there. I try reasonably hard to follow threading and posting etiquette, but as the posting engine on DIYbanter produces what I find "unwieldy" quotes (see this post as an example), I try to snip as much as possible and quote other posters in different colours within the message; given the mess that others make by not snipping, having incorrectly tagged/indented replies etc., I am finding this objection fairly picky. Do you have a suggestion for a good newsreader?