DBLEXPOSURE

"Bjarni Juliusson" wrote in message
I bought a tiny little 5.5" B/W TV set, and I thought it would be an
interesting thing to do to take the tube and try and build myself a little
computer monitor - nothing fancy, just a device to take TTL horizontal and
vertical sync signals and a video signal and give me a couple of hundreds
of lines of picture at 50Hz.

So I've been surfing around now for a while to find some information on
the subject, and it's been very informative. But even though I have now
got a general familiarity with the workings of a CRT, I have not been able
to find anyone who has built any CRT control circuitry and written about
it on the web. It doesn't seem at all impossible though.

So does anyone have any suggestions? Any websites with detailed
information that is not completely over the head of a beginner? I don't
know much at all about analog electronics, being mostly a computer guy. Or
does anyone have enough knowledge to offer an example layout of such a
circuit for me to try?

I'm grateful for any help at all!

Bjarni

Quite an undertaking. My first thought is, "be careful" I am guessing the
anode voltage on that tube is 3 to 5Kv and will be present even with no
power is applied. Learn how to discharge the tube safely. If you are
nervous at all doing it, then you shouldn't be doing it, especially alone.
Use the, One hand in the pocket rule, Have a qualified tech demonstrate it
for you.

Learn and understand where the high voltage is located on the circuit board
and be conscious of it when fiddling with the circuit when it is live.

Secondly, the deflection circuits are not designed to run at typical
computer monitor frequencies. This might prove to be difficult. If you are
going to redesign the deflection circuits and have a limited knowledge of
electronics then, well, you have a long road ahead of you.

Not trying to be discouraging, whether you successful or not you will
certainly learn something. But do be careful.