Default My Shower Is Driving Me Insane!

Hello All

My shower is driving me insane! I had a small leak so I decided to
take it down and tighten all connections up before finally plastering
over the back.

Now, the top part of the valve body which screws into the middle bit
seemed loose so I have tried to tighten it up. The problem I am having
is that I cannot fully tighten it so that the control is facing in the
right direction. What do you do in these situations? I'm sure there is
a really simple answer to this but I cannot for the life of me think
what it is, apart from loads of PTFE tape!!!!

The connection seals with an O ring.

TIA

Cheers

Richard