LRod

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 17:20:44 GMT, blueman wrote:

In advance of purchasing a new circular saw, I have been googling to
understand the pros/cons of blade left vs. right saws.

What I find interesting in this discussion is that virtually no one
takes into account the kind of work environment the saw will be used
in, which explains why the right blade sidewinder is so prevalent.

On a framing job, many cuts on 2x materials are made either on a set
of horses, or on the deck of the house over the edge or stair opening.
The work sits on the support and the waste hangs over the edge. For a
right handed user, the most logical work position has the left hand
(and often a knee) holding down the work, while the right hand (and
right bladed saw) cuts to the line and the cutoff falls away. The
weight of the saw is supported by the work.

Now, while it seems logical that a right handed operator would be
better off with a left handed blade, that's only true if the work AND
the waste are supported, as the weight of the saw is primarily on the
cut off.

I have both left and right blade saws, and for work on framing in a
framing environment, a right blade saw is definitely more convenient
(I'm right handed). However, if I'm in a situation where I can support
the waste as well as the work, the left blade saw is easier.

I would think, given the foregoing, that a left hander would be better
off with a left blade saw.

Unlike the left tilt/right tilt question with a table saw, it's more
than just "what you're used to" with circular saws, as was shown
above.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net