Chris

"loutent" wrote in message
Hi all,

This has always bothered me (anal as I am).

Whenever I trace/draw a pencil line on a piece to
be cut, I never have confidence in it. If I am doing
(say) crown moulding, I will hold a piece up there
and mark a line. I never/seldom actually believe in
the line I just marked - I will allow an extra 1/4.
It is never correct. Then I step down off of the 8 ft
ladder and cut again. Now it's only 3/32 off. Down again,
back to the MS to trim "a hair".

Still doesn't fit right.

OK, another hair...then another....

It's kind of funny every time I think about it.

Next time, I use a sharper pencil.

I "mark" the line, but I don't "respect" the
line (I know it's a Seinfeld thing).

I've been a hobbyist for near 20 years now.

Still no respect for the line.

Maybe its time for a marking knife...but will
I respect that any more?

Lou,
Your sage is not uncommon for someone who does it for a living. I used to
do finish work for a living and understand exactly what you are going
through.

Even more so with crown moldings as they are expensive and joints should not
be a option if you cut short. As of late I have been using a carbide
pointed pen. Little harder to see, but a lot thinner line. Learned this
from the metal workers, who deal in a lot higher precession. If not that, a
mechanical pencil will work just as well. Lot easier to sharpen too.

--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
soldier. If it is in ebonics, thank your Congressman.