Mike O. wrote:
We were working on a job the other day and the masons were cleaning
the brick with muriatic acid. The guys doing the work were clever
enough to remove a very expensive front door but in doing so, the wind
blew in a fine mist of acid into the great room where a contractors
saw was set up. Now we have a nice collection of acid "freckles" on
the saw top.

The first thing we could think to do was to see how many finish nails
we could shoot at the masons. After much discussion with my partner
(it is his saw) we eventually decided against that.

Then, we tried cleaning the top with WD 40 and the wiped it down with
Top Coat. The next day the freckles were still growing. Does anyone
have any ideas on how we might neutralize the acid to at least stop
any further deterioration of the top?

You didn't specify if the saw table was aluminum or ferrous metal
but ferrous metal should not be eaten away by hydrocloric acid
so I assume aluminum.

To neutralize an acid use a base. But don't leave any long-term
residue on the saw because aluminum reacts with both acids and
bases.

I suggest a mild base like baking soda, sprinkle it on, rub it
in, brush as much of it off as you can dry, then wash with a
damp rag.

Do not use sodium hydroxide, it reacts vigorously with aluminum.

--

FF