D Steck wrote:
So why did you ask for advice? If you're going to do it anyway, then just
do it and don't ask.

In addition to 'if', there is also 'how'.

The wood typically used in marine applications is teak not maple.

For decks, yes. Hulls are usually made of marine plywood which
these days is usually Okoume, or Sapele, African woods that look
a bit like mahogany, but do not have mahogany's rot resistance,
or Doug Fir.

Keep in mind, the humid hot air will rise and attack the wood. Eventually
you'll have a problem - but if you must use wood, put spar varnish on it.

Most boatbuilders these days use epoxy finishes, often with spar
varnish over the top to protect it from UV.

"Marc" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the input guys...although everyone seems to agree I should
keep the wood out of the shower all together. I'm just new to carpentry
and woodworking but I would think if they can use wood extensively in
the marine industry their must be a way to make this idea of mine work.

You can check the net or the local yellow pages to find somewhere to
get boatbuilding epoxies used for boatbuilding. The "West System"
epoxies are generally well-liked.

--

FF