Leon

"blueman" wrote in message
In advance of purchasing a new circular saw, I have been googling to
understand the pros/cons of blade left vs. right saws.

Can someone confirm that this is the right summary understanding:

For RIGHTIES:
Blade right: easier to hold & balance, potentially safer since
dust and chips don't blow back in your face

Blade left: allows you to see the cut line easier since it is in
your line of sight

For LEFTIES:
Blade right: allows you to see the cut line easier since it is in
your line of sight

Blade left: easier to hold & balance, potentially safer since
dust and chips don't blow back in your face

The above is correct. There is an indicator mark on the front edge ff the
foot of the saw. This is what you SHOULD use to align the saw and guide the
cut.
Although like most people that do not use a blade guard with a TS many also
like to watch the blade and line being cut. Neither method is correct.

The takeaway for me is that as a lefty who usually holds the circ saw
in the left hand and to-date has only used blade right saws, I would
probably be best off continuing with a blade-right saw. Particularly,
since like many lefties, I am partially ambidextrous and can hold the
saw in my right hand if need be.

Does that make sense?

It makes since but is incorrect. Regardless of which hand you use, the
motor of the saw should be between you and the blade.