Andrew Gabriel

Default Some lights not working. Strange voltage readings !

In article ,
(Richard Snell) writes:
Hello all,

We have a strange problem with our electrics. Our main living room
light does not work or the wall lights in the same room. Same thing in
the master bedroom and one of the lights in the hall. All other lights
in the house are fine.

I invited a friend over who knows something of electrics and he
checked the fuses and took voltage readings at the light fixture and
the at switches.

He found that there was no voltage at the switch ( about 3V ) but
managed to get a reading of 246V at the light fixture in the lving
room. He got about 150V in the hall !!!

We both thought you should either get 0V or 240V !!

Does anybody know what could cause these strange readings or have had
similar problems in their house ?

The strange readings are caused by a high input impedance meter,
and capacitive coupling of disconnected conductors to nearby live
conductors.

--
Andrew Gabriel