Al Reid

"Zed Rafi" wrote in message .. .
Hello all,

can the transformation of trees into lumber be achieved at home? I mean,
are there some home-installable tools that can be bought for this task? If
so, how much do they cost?

thanks

You've already received numerous answers. I turn logs into lumber quite often
using my woodworking tools. First, let me say that for 90% of the projects I do,
a 4' length of lumber is sufficient. So, here is what I do.

I built a sled out of MDF and hardwood. The MDF is about 16" wide and 6' long.
I added a hardwood runner that fits into the miter slot on my 14" bandsaw (w/6"
riser), along wit an additional runner that rides along the outside edge of the table.
It is supported on the infeed and outfeed by roller stands.

I cut to tree into ~4' long sections. If the diameter is greater than about 12" I cut the
log in half length wise with a chainsaw. I then set the log on the sled, position it and
cut boards. They are then stickered and stacked to dry.

It works for me. YMMV.

--
Al Reid