Dave Hall

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 05:01:55 GMT, Lobby Dosser

A riving knife is a common feature on European saws. Its main
attribute is that it rises and falls and tilts with the blade, allowing
you pretty much use it for almost all cuts. Its more complicated
mechanically and more expensive to manufacture. I looked into buying
parts from Europe to add a riving knife to my table saw. I finally gave
up. One of the barriers to making such a device standard in the USA is
working through the safety and legal barriers.

Bob

It's actually pretty simple and inexpensive. I've got an Old (~8yrs) Ryobi
BT3000 that came with one and All the Ryobi BTXX saws have them.

As do shopsmiths (Models 510 and 520 since the mid 1980s, not the old
no longer made model 500s).

Dave Hall
Dave Hall

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who
have not got it." -- G.B. Shaw