Brad Curfman

Thanks for the advice. I'll try the freezer, as I currently have them in
a container covered with powdered boric acid.

Fortunately, I found a live beetle when I was turning more of that
maple, so the candlesticks and bottle stoppers I made never had anything
crawl out.

I was using the boric acid as a temporary solution until a found a
quicker fix for the problem. I read that the incubation of these little
pests could be up to 5 years. I definitely wasn't keeping the turnings
in a container for that long.

Brad Curfman
http://www.curfman.net

wrote:
Brad:

At least you have an easy fix. You can put the candle holders in the
deep freeze for about 3-4 days and your little friends will be gone, or
a more risky tact with them being finished is to microwave them on
defrost for about 2 minutes.

I would freeze them to make sure I didn't melt the finish.

At least you found out now.. I had a piece I finished that sat proudly
on display in the bookcase until the telltale signs of bugs relegated
it to the gargage. At the time I didn't know how to remedy those
little buggers so I put thinned white glue in the tunnels. What a
PITA.

Robert