Grant

Owain wrote:
Grant wrote:

My understanding is that any such work now comes under the
provisions of
Part P of the Building Regs

I'm in Scotland - I think the regs are different here aren't they?
Even stricter?

The Regs are completely different and there is no Part P in Scotland.

The Building Standards (Scotland) have always been stricter in that
electric wiring has always had to be done to a safe and proper standard.
IEE Wiring Regulations are deemed to be a safe and proper standard, but
an equivalent is also acceptable.

What will change / has changed is the classes of person who is allowed
to sign off a certificate. It used to be anyone could sign a
certificate, now it has to be someone registered. However that only
applies where a certificate is required i.e. for notifiable work. I
*think* that wiring is not on its own notifiable and so you don't need a
certificate. If you were building an extension, which is notifiable,
then you would need a certificate as part of getting a building warrant.

Unlike English Part P, I don't think council building control officers
will inspect wiring for you.

The best thing would be to check with Building Control at the local
council.

Owain

After having spoken to Edinburgh City Council they tell me that strictly
speaking I should get a Building Warrant but they have never seen one
just for adding sockets and wouldn't expect me to apply for one. They
suggested I get a competent person to so the work for my own piece of mind.

I also asked about mixing old & new cable (different core colours) and
they said that that was perfectly OK as well. I had thought that I
needed to add a label to the CU stating that there was a mix but
apparently not. Maybe just in other parts of the UK?

Cheers,
Grant