Peter Wiley

In article , JohnM
wrote:

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
After watching the still unfolding diaster along the Gulf coast, I
can't help but think of all the workshops that were destroyed.

All the tools and the effort that was expended to get them in the first
place...such a waste. It has taken me decades to find and buy the
quality and quantity of tools that I have. To replace them in a
reasonable timeframe and cost is impossible...and I am sure this
applies to many readers here.

Now if you were in the situation to HAVE to start over to rebuild your
shop...what would you buy, where and why?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions that those who have been affected
by a loss will appreciate.

TMT

Torch, welder and grinder.

I did an interstate move and had to build a new house when I arrived,
starting off in a tent with hand tools and a borrowed gen set. So....

Hand tools & hand power tools, minimum of a good 1/2" drill and a cheap
71/2" circ saw. A hand power planer is very useful, I got a Makita
which could do rebates over 12mm. I could then make all my own door
jambs etc from solid rough sawn stock.

Move up to a sliding compound mitre saw; I have a 12" DeWalt and love
it. A table saw is nice too but more for detail work unless you're
going to be ripping long lengths of timber. An air compressor and nail
gun. Saves time and you can hold something and nail it without needing
a 3rd hand.

You've now built the shop/house/whatever. All this stuff can run off a
moderately sized gen set.

To get into metal, a good 5" angle grinder and a cheap 4 1/2" angle
grinder. Yeah, you can get by with one grinder but it's a PITA to swap
from cutting disks to grinding disks 20 times/day to save $20. A stick
welder capable of running 1/8" 6011 rods, you can now weld anything you
need to weld in steel.

After that it depends on what you're into. Personally, I shipped my
Colchester lathe, 30 x 8 H/V mill and big vertical bandsaw first.

Building the house, I used the table saw and a 12" thickness planer
quite a lot, but they're second order important for construction
carpentry. They came into their own, along with the bandsaw and a
router, for fitting the place out.

PDW