Andrew Mawson

Default smoothing weathered concrete

Mike Harrison wrote:
The concrete path at the front of my house is weathered, so the surface

is very rough from the
pebbles etc. - makes it painful to walk on without shoes, and milkbottles

tend to fall over.
Is there anything I can lay on the surface to smooth it off - I would

imagine that just putting a
layer of fine cement down would just break up quickly, and adhesion would

be a problem.
Doing it properly - i.e. breaking up and re-pouring would be way more

trouble than it's worth

Any suggestions..?

There are products intended for repairing floors in industrial environments
that need to be laid in thin layes and take load a short time after laying.

Most are based on a fine agregate (sand) bonded with a polyester or epoxy
resin, and some will even bond to moist surfaces - price tends to be rather
high though. Polyester resin and sand are both available relatively cheaply
so maybe a few DIY experiments would be in order.

Andrew Mawson