HMFIC-1369

The food is expensive? Look if need be I can pack a canoe or the Kayaks and
head where ever!

Don't over estimate the fear factor, in a catastrophic event, you already
beat the system if you live. Then you have to address what and where. I'm
located in a pretty good valley that protects is from all directions because
of how it follows the river. I could flood but that would have to be enough
to flood the whole valley and since it's most narrow miles north the flood
plains will handle it there. and honestly if anything does flood the food
and gear are all sealed.

I wouldn't build a house to take a Cat 5, I'd let it go and move!!!

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Don wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote
Don wrote:
"HMFIC-1369" wrote
Bottom line is 30 days! Katrina shows areas still under flood

waters,
well
after a week. The object is NOT rescue! I maintain 6 months food

and
water
in my food cellar.

How much space does 6 months worth of food and water occupy?

More significantly, how does one prevent the flooding of the cellar or
the complete destruction of the entire dwelling given a Cat 5 or

Fujita
5 storm?

Here in SW FL, home of the 4 hellraisers of 04', everything below the

10'
level (10' above sea level) is considered a lost cause.
FEMA specifically addresses these items in the building codes.

Precisely my point...to do what HMFIC wants in general is a very
difficult and expensive task. You can be prepared for ordinary events
pretty well and make things a lot easier on yourself, but in a
catastrophic situation things are likely to get out of hand for almost
everybody in the affected area.