Don

"Goedjn" wrote
Dinty Moore Beef stew is 222 calories/cup,
so you need 10 cups/day.

Jeez, 10 cups a day?
I'd be as big as a whale if I ate all that stuff! LOL
During the 5 days of Charley last year I ate very little, maybe 2 or 3 cold
chicken breasts and 3 or 4 cold sandwiches.
But I was drinking about 4 gallons of water a day, at least.
(I rigged a 220v jumper to my generator to charge the well equipment each
day. Our aerator holds 80 gallons)

The thing is, we were waiting on the edge of our seats for the power to come
back on the whole time. We were hearing on the radio the power was coming
back on in various parts of the city each day and it took a full 5 days to
restore ours. So the whole time we were sort of in turmoil, not knowing what
was going on. If we knew we'd be without power for a month or more we would
have done things differently. We had one generator but we had to use it
sparingly cause we couldn't get fuel. For a long term endeavor I'd probably
get a 2nd generator and then drive long distance to get some serious
quantities of fuel. Also, I didn't take the storm warning too seriously
(Charley made a last minute change of course and headed straight for us 3
hours prior to impact) so I was cash poor at the time and with the power out
all over the city I couldn't access any funds. The stores that were open
were accepting cash only as their equipment was down. Next time I'll have at
least $1000 cash on me.

The very center of Charley passed about 4 miles to the west of us, right up
through the Pine Island Sound and then straight up the Peace River to Punta
Gorda / Port Charlotte, so we were right on the worst edge. And yes, it does
sound like what you'd imagine a freight train sounds like. You can't really
appreciate the magnitude of 150mph wind and 300 mph microbursts by watching
it on TV, it has to be felt in person. Its a little overwhelming to realize
the very earth is attempting to kill you. LOL