Don

"Duane Bozarth" wrote
Michael Daly wrote:
"Don" wrote:
FEMA specifically addresses these items in the building codes.

FEMA sets building codes?

No, not specifically. They have made some efforts particularly since
the spate of FL hurricanes to address design issues regarding roofs,
etc., for enhancing survivability. The results I've seen haven't been
uniformly successful attempts as, for one example, the guidelines for
upgrading asbestos shingle roofs apparently were developed and published
internally or w/ consulting input but not using any input from any of
the manufacturers, etc. Consequently, there are published guidelines
for which there are no commercially available materials to meet.

Here in Lee County they use sort of a hybrid code, geared specifically for
this area.
Its rooted in the FBC but has many added rules.
The FEMA parameters take precedent.
This whole code thing is getting to be out of control.
Its to the point now that most people design the building and then submit
for a permit and let the plans examiner determine what works and what
doesn't.
I've dotted every I and crossed the T's and still get rejected.
Its a good thing computers came along when they did because it would be very
difficult to do a set of plans by hand, with all the notes and details and
stuff that are required.