Duane Bozarth

Don wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote
Precisely my point...to do what HMFIC wants in general is a very
difficult and expensive task. You can be prepared for ordinary events
pretty well and make things a lot easier on yourself, but in a
catastrophic situation things are likely to get out of hand for almost
everybody in the affected area.

I design large scale custom homes on the barrier islands off the coast of SW
Florida.
These homes are inherently expensive for several reasons, not just because
of the so called *personal greed* of the owners.

Yes, when one attempts to do something inherently fool^h^h^h^hrisky, one
should at least make the effort to protect the investment. It's still
an area not really suitable for the use.

I've heard that upwards of 60% of the residents of NOLA were at the poverty
level or lower.
The buildings that housed these people probably won't be rebuilt.

Those that were flooded, probably not, although what is going to be done
is pretty well still in the future...

I've also heard that most of those folks in that 60% have already been
relocated, some have jobs and are moving on with their lives, probably
aren't concerned with moving back to NOLA.

Relocated, yes. Permanent location, job? I suspect that would probably
be 1%, so far.

So what's left?
The infrastructure, businesses and residences.

Some is, a of lot that isn't even left or worth the cost of rebuilding,
either. They're talking of trashing the Superdome, even, which was a
pretty substantial structure and investment.

Here, in the 130mph wind zone we address the issue 2 ways.

130 mph is strong, but certainly far below the full-force 200+ mph plus
storm surge of a head-on coastal barrage. 130 mph is "designable" for
survival at a cost that isn't totally prohibitive. As you're well
aware, that cost will escalate rapidly as the design criteria rise.

Each year the height requirement seems to increase, the new home across the
street from me is at least 1-1/2' higher than mine.

Guaranteeing, after the rest are elevated that the low spots will then
be flooded.

In 20 years the only thing that will be allowed to be built around here will
be poured in place solid concrete domes anchored to the mantle itself with
precast 80' pilings 4' on center both ways. ;-(

As it should be if in such a location. It simply isn't a very good
choice of location for building permanent structures. I've thought what
folks who want to live in such places should do would be to simply build
disposable houses and when the big one comes leave, planning from the
beginning to simply bulldoze and start again. Be cheaper, structurally,
albeit less convenient.