JohnM

wallster wrote:
Wayne Cook wrote:
SNIPPED

leaving only the 3/4" thickness to hold the whole thing up. If that
gusset went to the top of the bumper I wouldn't worry to much.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

Hey Wayne (or anyone else here), have you ever mig welded on a bumper
while it's still attached to the vehicle? It's a major pita taking this
thing on and off but i'm not big on exploding (from the proximity of
the fuel tank)
I would be welding outdoors to allow for optimum ventilation.
It sounds like a no-brainer not to do it but i've seen a car completely
engulfed in flames and the fire fighter told me that the blowing up of
the gas tank wasn't a major concern. (although the spare tire popping
was exciting!)
thanks,
walt

Just fill the tank with water..

Seriously, if it's not leaking and you're not putting sparks in the
filler neck you're ok. If there's any concern about sparks getting in
the filler neck or tank, making sure the tank is all the way full
eliminates the possibility of explosion. As always, keep a good
extinguisher or two handy when working on a car.

John