Alex

Jeff,

thanks. Now the picture is much clearer for me.

Alex

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Alex wrote:

I am pulling a new 220V line from a power box for my new belt grinder
(20Amp 115/220V). Wiring is inside my garage and 8 gauge wires go
through conduit. San Francisco code requires 4 poles for 220V
appliances so I am using four wired inside conduit.
My question is how to wire switch and motor to four wires.
Motor wiring has 6 wires but instruction says that 3 wires go to one
pole and 3 other to another. What about ground and neutral?

Is there any good on line DIY manual for this kind of work.

BTW I am going to have a lichened electrician to inspect my work
before attempting to connect.

Thanks,
Alex

I'm assuming this is a single phase motor with a centrifugal starter
switch and possibly a start capacitor.

The motor should have a nameplate or label on it showing how those 6
wires get connected when used on 220V and 115V, make sure you follow the
correct one for 230 volts.

If there's no diagram, but the leads are labeled, the following general
instructions, which I cribbed from a newsgroup a while ago may help, but
may also confuse:

************************

First identify the leads coming out of the motor. They should have
numbers on the leads like T1, T2, etc. A single phase dual voltage
reversible motor should have: T1, T2, T3, T4, T5, and T8. They a T1,
T2, T3, T4 = Run winding leads, T5, T8 = Start winding leads. For 115V
operation, the leads should be wired: T1 + T3 = L1 (Line input) T2 + T4
= L2 (Line input) T5 and T8 are wired to L1 and L2 and to reverse the
motor, you reverse T5 and T8 with respect to L1 and L2 For 230V
operation, the leads should be wired: T1 = L1, T4 = L2, T2 = T3 = T5
(just wire nut these three together.) T8 = L1 or L2 (depending on the
motor rotation you require.)

************************

L1 and L2 are of course the two "hot" leads in the conduit, and you
should install a double pole switch rated for the horsepower of the
motor you're using.

The neutral lead in the conduit won't connect to anything if it's only
the motor that's being powered, just cap it off. If the circuit is also
going to power a 115V load on the machine, like a work lamp, then the
neutral will be required for the "return lead" of the work lamp and the
"line side" of the work lamp switch will connect to either L1 or L2,
take your pick.

The ground lead in the conduit will connect to the frame of the motor.

Since you are calling in an electrician anyway, why not have him eyeball
the motor connections "just in case".

YMMV,

Jeff