wallster

RoyJ wrote:
I'm more concerned with the torque loading on the cross member than I am
with the gussets. Apparently the cross member is 1" bar stock but in
torque loading, only the outside shell actually takes much load.

Roy, the 1" plate (or cross member) is bolted to the backing plate on
the jeep and that is bolted to the frame. Each end of the cross member
has four 7/16" grade 8 bolts with washers and lock washers. I also
added one more through the L bracket section of the hitch because i did
not weld that (i bought the jeep with this hitch on it) and i dont know
what kind of penetration the previous welder had received (or what rod
he, or she had used) It looks good, but without x-ray or cutting it, i
just cant tell.
does this answer your concern? i'm not positive what you mean by the
outside shell.
thanks,
walt