"Even if they install for free the monitoring fees, required by most
insurance companies are going to eat every bit of the proposed savings.

If your home owners is a $1000.00 then 20% is $200.00 My last
monitored
system cost $19.99 plus tax a month. I do not think that you can get a

installed system monitored for that. More like $35.00 a month.

I will bet your home owners insurance is less than an grand. "

I agree. An insurance company only gives about a 5% or so discount for
an alarm system. With a typical policy of maybe $600 a year, it
doesn't sound like it's worth it, even if you install an unmonitored
system. And I'd check with the insurance company first, as they may
require it to be monitored. I think I'm paying around $20 a month for
my monitoring. Paying for monitoring, there is no way you'll ever come
out ahead.