Amun

"Bill" wrote in message
What are the *specific* requirements from insurance companies for
electronic home security/fire systems? (For the maximum discount - up to
20% off homeowners insurance I guess?)

The goal of my project is the least amount of protection for the maximum
discount. I don't *really* need a security system as I live in a low crime
rate area. Just exploring ways to save money on my insurance. I will of
course ask my agent, but he tends to tell me about insurance options which
cost more, not available discounts...

About all I can find on the internet is "U.L certified monitoring station"
or "additional discount for fire protection".

So specifically, for maximum discount....

-Do all doors and windows require sensors or are just doors ok?

-Just one internal motion detector ok or are more required?

-Just one [connected to system] smoke detector ok, or are smoke detectors
and heat sensors required in specific locations? (1800 sq. ft. two story 3
bedroom house with garage and 10 x 14 tool shed out back.)

-Local monitoring required or is 1-800 number located in another state ok?
What is local so far as distance goes?

-Other alarm requirements which will get the largest discount off my
insurance rates?

Each company has their own specific rules.
Ask them for something in writing.
(same rule they usually ask of you)

But if you go too cheap and have a problem, don't be too surprised if the
adjuster disallows your claim and cancels the policy, claiming you
misrepresented the security system.
aka, insurance fraud.

All insurance companies are great at cashing the premium checks.
But the good ones will be there when you need them.

AMUN