SteveB

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
Do propane refrigerators need to be vented outside? I have just bought a
cabin with a Consul 17 cubic foot fridge/freezer.

The burner needed cleaning, as it smelled very very rich. It had a lot
of soot. When I put it back together, the diffuser fell down into the
exhaust pipe, and I didn't notice it.

When it started smelling again, I checked it, and cleaned it again.

Tell me of your experiences with propane appliances in an enclosed space.
I know they can be lethal, but this has a very small burner. Nothing in
the instructions mentioned outside venting.

Steve

Propane (actually ammonia cycle) refrigerators are common on RV's, so
check RV sites on the internet. Anything with a flame needs a vent. A
standard feature is to have the burner in a separate space from the
actual cold space. Built in that way or the unit is on rollers and just
backs into a space that is vented to the outside. Or, the unit just sits
in a highly vented space such as a screened porch.

I was puzzled when I looked at the manual, and there was no mention of
venting. Venting would not really be a problem, just some Rube Goldberg (am
I dating myself?) plumbing of flues. I would have to drill a rather large
hole through six inches of solid wood exterior wall, but really, not a big
job to vent the thing.

Just seeking understanding before I go hacking and cutting.

Steve