Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Alan wrote:
Must admit I have never quite understood the big attraction with Avos.
Yes OK they are class 1 accuracy, and have a nice big meter movement,
but are they really *that* good to command such a price? Or is there
something they will do (besides keep heavy doors proped open) that I
have missed?

They were simply the UK industry standard.

I think the operative word is 'were'.
They were outclassed on performance twenty years ago.

For many AC measurements - or anything which required a high impedance
device - many more years earlier. I've got a homemade (Heathkit) valve
voltmeter which is over 30 years old.

The price probably doesn't reflect the quality of the meter but the cost
of the calibration and the tractability back to standards.

It's just the cost of making something so old fashioned.

The average 'certified' electrician will be paying £100s to get their
existing equipment calibrated each year.

I've got some ways of calibrating DVMs, and they don't drift that much -
if well made. In some ways, calibration is a bit like CORGI etc
membership. Just to satisfy the suits.

--
*All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.