Will Dean

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...

It comes under bad practice. You could certainly attempt to argue the
toss,
though, if it came to court or something. As I suggested, just adding an
RCD
to the existing system I would regard as sufficiently safe, although much
over 3 ohms and you're starting to look at lighting and fixed circuits,
too.
However, I would not expect to see such shoddiness in a new or rewired
installation and would regard such an installation as a cowboy bodge.

But that implies that 413-02-16 is just there for the use of cowboys.

I absolutely agree that one wouldn't design a new circuit like this, but I
can't see how it would fail a periodic inspection. It's in compliance with
the regs and the GN3 guidance.

Of course, it might be a symptom of more serious problems, which *would* be
failures.

Best practice is to always design main equipotential bonding and circuit
cable sizing/resistance for TN-C-S, even on a TT or TN-S system. That way,
the system can just be transferred to TN-C-S when it becomes available,
which is increasingly common, even on overhead lines.

Well, it could be anyway, as long as the RCD wasn't removed.

I'm really not arguing with you that it would be a good idea to look at
what's really happening here, rather than sticking an RCD in and forgetting
about it - I'm just always interested in what really is compliant and what
isn't.

Will