James Sweet wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
hello..
Can resistors cause a short-circuit?

Particularly in a powersupply?
The reason i ask is that because i'm fixing one. From my thinking
resistors are put in a circuit to give resistance unless they change?
I have seen resitors blown but thats considered high
resistance(infinit)because the resitor is basically gone and thats not
a short circuit i'm talking about. A short circuit resistor is where a
resitor would let most of the current through hence creating a short
circuit situation is this common or even possible.

Thanks

I've never seen a resistor fail shorted, they always go up in value or go
open completely when they die.

Not necessarily. I've replaced large value (100K 1 or 2 Watt) molded
carbon resistors because they lowered in value, 1 down to 15K. The
resistors were running around 220V so it was only dissipating 1/2 Watt
but needed to be 2 Watts because of the high voltage.
GG