Martin H. Eastburn

I suspect - the instrument (machine) runs on 220v and the lamps on it at 120
and the G line to the frame for safety.
The N is used as shown below - Leg (n) to N = 120v.

I think this is done (spec) to protect people like us - so we have 220 and 120 at the plug
or at the drop point. Remember - the specs drive Electricians who bid on jobs
and builders who cheap out when possible.

Martin

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Grant Erwin wrote:
Alex wrote:

I am pulling a new 220V line from a power box for my new belt grinder
(20Amp 115/220V). Wiring is inside my garage and 8 gauge wires go
through conduit. San Francisco code requires 4 poles for 220V
appliances so I am using four wired inside conduit.
My question is how to wire switch and motor to four wires.
Motor wiring has 6 wires but instruction says that 3 wires go to one
pole and 3 other to another. What about ground and neutral?

Is there any good on line DIY manual for this kind of work.

4 poles would go to a dryer outlet, which has L1, L2, N, G

L1: first 220V line
L2: second 220V line
N: neutral -- voltage L1-N or L2-N is 120V
G: ground

I would never go to the expense of running 4 wires when you only need 3.
Nor do I believe that San Francisco code actually requires it, but there
are amazing things in California laws. Your motor will use L1, L2 and G,
of course.

GWE