David Hearn

David Hearn wrote:
I have to re-attach a piece of plastic which is the pivot for 2 pieces
of plastic to hinge. It's like a plastic rivet. Unfortunately the top
of the 'rivet' has come off (top is about 2cm across) and needs to be
glued back onto the shaft (about 1cm diameter tube, about 2-3mm of
material).

What would be the best glue to do this, considering that it is under
quite a bit of stress when the 2 arms are flexed?

Whether or not it is a long term fix is another matter - I just need it
to work for as long as possible.

Thanks

David

Thanks for all the advice. In the end I decided against gluing because
of the weak bond it would probably end up with. The item is basically
something 2 foot long with a large 'hinge' in the middle (completely
plastic item) to fold it to half size - visualise one of those old rules
which folded in half.

The two halves were fixed together by two plastic plugs with a screw
which held them together. I cannot see exactly though how they screwed
together as removing the screw does not allow the two parts to come
apart - maybe someone's repaired it before??

Anyway - my fix in the end was to replace the plastic collar bit which
came off, with a large metal washer. A screw used to go through the
middle of this collar, so I could just screw the washer on with that. I
had hoped to also replace the screw with a longer one, buy B&Q didn't
have any suitable.

This is something I've sold on eBay for a not insignificant amount (not
enough to just refund the money). It literally fell apart as I packaged
it! (It's ex-work). The fix makes the item completely working again
and likely to be much longer lasting than either a glued repair, or even
maybe the original design. Therefore I'm completely happy to pass the
item onto the purchaser - in fact, I'm glad it broke before it got
posted, and otherwise it could very well have broken either in the post,
or more likely when the purchaser first had a fiddle with it.

Thanks again