Lobster

David Hearn wrote:
I have to re-attach a piece of plastic which is the pivot for 2 pieces
of plastic to hinge. It's like a plastic rivet. Unfortunately the top
of the 'rivet' has come off (top is about 2cm across) and needs to be
glued back onto the shaft (about 1cm diameter tube, about 2-3mm of
material).

What would be the best glue to do this, considering that it is under
quite a bit of stress when the 2 arms are flexed?

Sounds a tall order for any type of glue... also, the optimum glue would
depend on the type of plastic - what is it?

I'd definitely go for some form of mechanical reinforcement here - can
you replace the shaft with a metal component, eg a bolt with a locking
nut at the other end? (Is the cosmetic appearance important - you don't
say what the application is) Or at the very least, if you do repair
using glue, you could drill a small pilot hole down the centre of the
top and shaft, and fit a screw to pull the whole lot together and
reinforce it.

David