Gary Brady

Don Young wrote:
I found this out when testing one of these blowers. It overheated unless the
airflow was restricted. I expected the motor load to decrease when the inlet
was restricted but was surprised that restricting the outlet had the same
effect.
Don Young
"Wayne Cook" wrote in message

The biggest mistake most people make when making one of these the
first time is that they fail to put a restriction in the outlet. These
fans are designed to run into a restricted outlet (the coils, and
ducting of the system). If you run one wide open on the outlet without
the restriction it tends to overload the motor since there's to much
air moving over the squirrel cage.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

Thanks for the comments, guys. I noticed when I walked close to the
inlet, the noise from the blower changed somewhat. I'll try choking it
down a bit after the new capacitor. The fan motor, while wired up for a
single speed in the A/C handler, has four speeds. I wired it up through
a scrounged 4 position switch and now have four speeds. The highest
actually blows so hard that the fan moves backward on its rollers, so I
can't use the highest speed.

Gary Brady
Austin, TX