Amun

"Greg" wrote in message
We are buying a house built in 2003. The tile in the kitchen has cracked.
Instead of replacing it, we are thinking about this stamped concrete
process. Anyone know anything about this as far as durability and so on?

I'm
guessing the reason the tile cracked is due to settling. After 2 years I'm
hoping it has stopped. Anyway, the guy my wife talked to said he could
either pour it directly over the existing tile or remove the tile and pour
it.

I would not be so sure to lightly dismiss any "settling" floor in a 2 year
old house.

As others have pointed out cracked tiles might be a sign of
weak/insufficient floor joists that might be allowing the floor to
flex/bounce.
Or worse a poorly laid slab if this is slab on grade construction with no
basement. that may never stop settling.

Or nothing more critical than a shoddy install, or abuse by the previous
owners.

You would be wise to check that the existing floor (if joists) will hold
even 1" of concrete without additional support.

eg posts underneath, doubling up joists.

No one here will be able to give you a 100% answer as we can't see it.
If anyone claims to know it all from an internet post, I'd take their
opinion with a grain of salt.

Besides, the contractor you have mentioned coming in will likely want to
examine the joists and/or correct any possible structural defects before he
even starts the floor.
His evaluation will rate higher than anything posted here.

You really want to grill him as to how long he will guarantee the job too,
and get it in writing.

And then get a second quote, and compare them.

Pointless to rush the job if you will only have another cracked floor next
year.

AMUN