Duane Bozarth

Amun wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Amun wrote:

All of those "citrus" cleaners are still oil based and may be great on

real bristle brush. (that water based products might damage)

Water-based products won't "damage" any brush I've ever seen made for
painting. Some might not flow as well or hold the optimum amount of
paint but that's going overboard w/ caution, imo.

Beg to differ and most professional painters and furniture refinishers who
know their stuff will verify this.

There's a difference (as I noted) between using a brush for what it
isn't designed for and "damaging" the brush simply by getting it wet. I
don't believe there's any indication that simply water on a natural
bristle brush, for example, well actually damage the brush once it's
dried again.

A pamphlet entitled "Care and Feeding" came w/ a brush includes the
following advice--

"A natural bristle brush includes badger, hog (or china) bristle, sable,
squirrel, goat, ox hair and others.

These natural bristle brushes are hand-set and some of the hairs will be
of different lengths. Consequently you may find the brush will shed
some the first few times you will use it.

To minimize this, you should:

1.Wash the brush with a mild dish soap in warm water ..."