Sacramento Dave

"Amun" wrote in message

"erico" wrote in message
Did you not mount the "union" to a brace between the studs ?
usually you use a cast fitting with 2 screw holes.

but can you get to it from behind, or is this against the basement

wall
?

I braced it enough so that someone playing with the showerhead couldn't
easily move the pipe - but the bracing wasn't intended to prevent

twisting.
Honestly, it never occurred to me that I might have to remove this

thing.

Anyway - I went for broke and took off the metal shower stand. Nothing
inside the wall seemed to break, even though I had to twist quite hard.
After applying a lot more teflon and remounting it - the damn thing

still
leaks, only not as much. =)

I think I'm going to give the caulk a shot. Heck - the stuff only has to
hold up to a five minute shower a few times a year.

It's your house, but I wouldn't tolerate ANY leaking in a wall.

check all threads for obvious damage or faults. (pipe cracks/holes)

Throw out the teflon tape, and coat the threads with pipe dope, (plumbers
joint compound)
or just a heavy grease.

THEN screw it in ,and you won't have ANY leak.

AMUN

1: Unscrew the shower head 2: unscrew the shower head mounting pipe. You
might have to make a small cut around it with a key whole saw. 3: put a
small amount of pipe dope on the threads, then put 5 to 7 wraps of Teflon
tape clockwise on threads, then put pipe dope on again. 4: Screw the pipe
back in, don't over tighten just good and snug. If you over tighten you run
a risk of cracking the drop-eared-90ty 9 (The cast piece with to mounting
holes.) A pipe is tapered so your putting a wedge in lot of pressure. 5:
Run the water for a few minutes to clean out crap in line. 6: put the shower
head back on. When you feel every thing is good caulk around the hole.
Anyway that's what I would do, but I'm just a plumber.