Don Foreman

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 23:49:44 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

Mom's car, sitting for 2.5 years had to be moved. The Interstate 72 mo.
battery that was put in just before storage won't take a charge...no
surprise, I put another new one in. Rather than turning in the core for $12
I will get it replaced under warranty. Is there any way to keep a new
battery on the shelf for extended periods of time? Should I keep it on a
trickle charger? Is it an urban myth that sitting on concrete will kill it?

A well-designed charger will maintain it. There's a lot to know
about battery charging, that knowledge is incorporated in "good"
chargers.

Batteries vary a lot in longevity, Interstate makes good batteries.

The bit about sitting on concrete once had basis but is now an urban
myth. Having said that, it's easy enough to set the battery on a
block of wood.

I replaced the batteries in my Ford cars after 8 years just because I
thought I should, being in MN and all. The three batteries in my
boat are now 5 years old, still work well. The boat doesn't get used
between mid-October and mid-April.