oldjag

Default Dumore Grinder

Just got a Dumore 1/2 hp "master" model grinder from ebay advertised as
"good running condition"...well I guess that means you want to run away
from it, since the spindle make a hell of a howl. Anyway the motor
seems okay, so maybe its worth fixing. It came with two spindles, both
of which have bad bearings. I opened the older one of the two
spindles, a model "T", and pressed out the bearings. It seems the
bearings are retained on the shaft at each end with a press fit steel
collar with a small tapered brass insert, one of the collars cracked
during removal. Dumore does not have parts for the older spindles.
Finally my questions: 1.) has anyone had one of these apart? 2.) Are
the collar/brass rings a standard part? 3.) Anyone have a spindle they
want to sell? 4.) The newer spindle, (8/85) has a different
construction - can the bearings in this be replaced more easily? 5.)
Why does the latter spindle say "do not oil" ?, are the latter ones
sealed bearings?