Ken Weitzel

James Sweet wrote:
"Ken Weitzel" wrote in message
news:5eHUe.168764$Hk.166492@pd7tw1no...

Howard Goldstein wrote:

snip

For the last 4 days or so my clumsy repair to is somehow letting ot
work again; I don't think the solder job I did to connect the break in
the nichrome did anything (can one even solder to nichrome? When it
heated up did it melt off whatever solder I did manage to get in
there?) but a good solid crimping of the cleaned ends of the broken
ribbon together seems to have done the trick for now and hopefully
it'll stay intact for another day or two until the replacement
arrives.

Hi...

As to soldering nichrome, the answer is yes, you can
solder it pretty well, should the need arise to repair
a toaster

Clean the ends well, make as good a mechanical connection
as you can (remembering that sharp bends create hot spots).
Then use _acid_ flux, and solder. Clean it up well with
baking soda, and you should be good.

Remember to clean your iron well before using it on electronics
again.

Take care.

Ken

Won't the solder just melt when you power the thing up?

Hi...

Nope, it's self-protecting

Where there is heat that would melt the solder, there's
no solder.

And where there is solder that would be melted, there's
(virtually) no (resistance) heating.

Ken