Franc Zabkar

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 04:39:13 GMT, "GHZpc" put finger
to keyboard and composed:

I accidently broke Pin #1 on my Maxtor hard drive. Unfortunately, I had very important data that was not backed up. Yes, I have already learned my lesson.

The pin broke off so deep that there is almost no metal visible to make contact with. I tried a safety pin and attempted to use my average soldering skills to solder a new pin in place. I have still had no luck up to this pont.

If you snip the rear of the pin, will the stub pull out from the
front? If so, then use a fine drill bit to drill out the hole. Then
remove a square pin from a suitable header (by snipping away the
retaining plastic?), push it through the hole, and solder it in place
from behind the socket. If this doesn't work, then forget I suggested
it. :-)

-- Franc Zabkar