Dave D

"Bert" lijbertv_at_xsinet_dot_co_dot_za wrote in message

Ok Dave please hold your horses, there is a little mixed up.
The IC I did replace was the TDA8356, the vertical output chip.

Fair enough, my mistake.

It is a dual input and output IC, have a look at the datasheet please,
only
caps are on the suply line.
Boost cap has be replaced, very high ESR.
There was fresh solder on the legs, that is why the replacement.
The set was at another place before I got it to repair.
All electrolytic caps around the vertical and jungle IC has been checked
for
the right ESR.

The snag is a capacitor can have an excellent ESR reading, especially if
it's a dead short! The only way to reliably rule out caps IMO is
replacement. ESR testing is very useful, but not conclusive. With vertical
linearity issues I'd suspect electrolytics before anything else, especially
the small ones. Caps might show a good ESR reading, but fail when under
working conditions.

Dave