James Sweet

wrote in message
On 9 Sep 2005 13:00:39 -0700, "jlatenight"
wrote:

Hi! I have a camcorder that I need an AC adapter for, and I found a
universal AC adapter at BestBuy that should do the trick accept for one
thing: the voltage needed by the camera is 7.9v at 1.4amps. The
universal adapter has two voltage settings that are close, but not
exact. The adapter will supply enough current, so I know I'm fine
there. One's 6.5v and the next one is 8.4v. So..if it seems to run ok
at 8.4 volts am I ok?? I mean, do I run the risk of frying my
Camcorder b/c I'm pumping too much voltage through it? Half a volt
doesn't seem like a lot, but I thought I'd ask to be safe. The
instructions for the adapter say "[this device] is fully regulated
using high efficiency switching technology and features overload and
short circuit protection."

If the adapter is close to the 1.4 amp rating of the camcorder then it
may be ok. Universal adapters and many other cheap brick adapters
have very little voltage regulation. One of these adapters rated at 7
volts at 2 amps will be 7 volts when drawing 2 amps. Take that same
brick and reduce the current and you'll see the voltage go up to 10
volts or more. It is best to check the no load voltage first before
using it on an expensive piece of equipment.

* If your universal adapter is rated higher than 1.4 amps then you
might want to select the 6.5 volt setting. This setting may actually
be very close to 7.9 volts at your camcorders 1.4 amp requirement.

Anything for a camcorder is probably a switching regulator (lightweight box,
not a big heavy transformer) so the regulation should be decent.