John Rumm

Will Dean wrote:

Personally, I'm glad that our economy is no longer so crap that decent
electronics graduates are working in chain-stores.

Don't think that was the case then. Maplin was not a chain store then -
that shop in Westcliff was the whole empire (we are talking '79/80 ish
here - remeber the catlogue with concord on the front?).

There was usually one pre-graduate doing a "year out" type of thing -
but the rest were electronics enthusiasts who seemed to like working there.

With regard to positions for electronics grads these days - I would say
there are far less than in the early 80s. Software has crept into and
replaced many of the traditional electronic engineering places, and
analogue or high power RF work is very much reduced.

--
Cheers,

John.