IMM

Default Combi Boiler Relief Pipework

"Lobster" wrote in message
m...
(Andy) wrote in message

. com...

I'm currently preparing to have my current domestic heating/plumbing
system replaced and will be using a combi boiler. I have almost
everything sorted out, but I can't find any info on what to do with
the relief valve pipework.

Can I use the existing hot water tank vent pipework for this relief,
or do I have to run new pipework direct into a drain and if so, can I
use the existing bathroom drainage system to vent into?

That's really spooky as I was just about to ask almost the same
question! I have just had an Ideal Standard C24 combi installed, and
I notice that the plumber has installed this pipe so that it sticks
out of the outside wall, about 15 feet above the pavement.

I checked the installation manual; it states:

"SAFETY VALVE DRAIN
The discharge pipe should be positioned so that the discharge of water
or steam cannot create a hazard to the occupants of the premises"

That's all it says. (This is on page 17 of the manual, which is at:
http://www.idealboilers.com/pdf/mini%20inst%20serv.pdf)

Curiously the instructions don't seem to be concerned about possibly
creating a hazard to passers-by! I think the plumbers's installed it
incorrectly; am I right? How should it be done? The boiler's
installed in a bedroom cupboard by the way, on an outside wall;
nowhere near any drains etc.

David