Mike Harrison

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 21:27:36 +0100, "David Bennett" wrote:

Hi all,

I've a query for any electricians out there, especially 'Part P' people! I
had a central heating system fitted yesterday, but the electrician couldn't
make it out until today, when I was unfortunately back in work. Now
basically, the boiler is newly placed in the kitchen but due to it's
placement, the nearest socket is approx 2m away. Now the electrician moaned
to my fiance that they couldn't pick up the supply anywhere so has basically
clipped flex under the sink to the nearest socket and has plugged the supply
in for the boiler to a socket, using a double adaptor shared with the
washing machine plug.

Now I know that the boiler won't take much of a load, but surely it still
needs to be hard wired into a fused spare? I won't even mention that the
T+E to the room stat looks like it has been clipped by a 5 year old, or that
it took 2 of them 2½ hours to do it!!!

I was actually a qualified electrician (just until the 16th edition), but
haven't worked in the industry for approx 10 years, however I know when I
was working for my old firm I would have been sacked on the spot for such a
shoddy job! I take it I'm right in thinking that this shouldn't be the
standard of work expected of a professional firm?

Now I'll be ringing the heating firm tomorrow, but my fiance mentioned that
they weren't from the same firm (so obviously sub-contractors), but I hope
that they are as interested in seeing what they are paying for as I am.
Anyone got any thoughts?

Best Wishes,
Dave

I would worry about a high-load appliance like a washing machine plugged into an adaptor