Dave D

"Nick" wrote in message
eenews.net...
Hi all

I have an NC200 which works fine except the floppy disk drive which
appears to be unserviceable.

I have stripped the drive and a little hair spring about an inch long fell
out but I can't see where on the drive internals it was supposed to go!

When a disk is loaded and I try to access the drive the stepper motor
drives the heads towards to end of the motor thread and then end stops.

What I really need is a scrap NC200 with a 'known good' drive.

Can anyone help please?

Nick

I'm not familiar with this model, I assume it has a standard 3.5" floppy,
and not an old 5.25"?

If the drive loads/ejects discs properly, and the heads snap shut against
the disc when inserted, my guess is the spring doesn't go anywhere! 9 times
out of ten, when I extract springs from floppy disc drives, the spring
jumped out of a faulty floppy disc and into the drive mechanism. The spring
is usually the one which closes the protective metal slider on the disc
itself.

If I'm right, this could mean that a faulty floppy disc probably fell apart
inside the drive and was forcibly extracted, damaging/misaligning the
drive's read/write heads. Is there no way a standard floppy disc drive can
be fitted? Repairing faulty floppy disc drives is rarely successful.

Dave