John B

Roger N wrote:
I have an odd shaped kitchen counter that I need to replace. The problem
with the existing counter is that it got wet in sink area and the particle
board swelled up and is falling apart. I already have the formica, glue,
tools, trimmer bit, etc. I'm wanting to replace this counter top and try to
prevent this from happening again. Should I use MDF instead of
Particleboard? Should I use a sealer or exterior paint on areas near the
sink not covered by formica?

Thanks!
Roger N.

G'day Roger,
When I was Cabinet making for a living we always used chippy for counter
tops. Used lots of silicon sealer around the sink and along the back
edge to prevent water by passing the laminate and getting to chippy. Now
days I'd use HMR board. Like mdf but high moisture resistant. Another
line of defence was to spray all the bare edges of the tops with contact
cement as we were spraying the tops and laminate. (No Spray equipment ??
Just brush or scrape it on)
Hope this helps you out a bit.
Regards
John