Jon Elson

Chris wrote:

For what it is worth VFDs are plentiful on ebay. I picked up a $1300
Siemens unit for ~$150. It was a 3 phase only VFD though. I do think the
single phase to 3 phase converters do go for more, for obvious reasons.

I have two "3 phase only" VFDs in my shop running on single phase power.
I have a 1 Hp Magnetek GPD-333 (made by Yaskawa) running my 1 Hp.
Bridgeport with no problem. Had I known about the derating at the time,
I might have gone for a larger unit, but it seems to work fine.

I have a 15 KVA Toshiba runing a 7.5 Hp lathe, and of course it works
fine, too.

Jon